The evening of 16 November saw the Mind Media Awards 2015, hosted by comedian Jo Brand. The ceremony celebrates the best representations and explorations of mental health issues in the media.
Matt Wilkinson, presenter for Heart FM , chaired the judging panel. He has created a series of podcasts for Mind exploring different mental health conditions .
His work on Bipolar disorder was nominated for the Sony Radio Academy Award for Best Internet Programme.
Other judges included Fiona Phillips and Daily Telegraph columnist Dr Max Pemberton.
Commenting on the awards Joe Brand said:
“It was inspirational to see and hear the experiences of individuals who are campaigning for change, as well as those who are opening up about their own lives in a bid to help others.”
Luciana Berger, the first ever minister for mental health, attended the awards tweeting :
List of Winners 2015
Here is a list of the 11 winners from this years ceremony including links to watch, read or listen where possible.
- Factual Television: Life After Suicide – BBC One
- Drama: Cyberbully – Channel 4
- Entertainment: Riverside Show – STV & 24 hours in A&E – Channel 4
- Publication: Time to Change Campaign – Sunday Mirror
- Radio: Why is it so hard to talk about Suicide? – BBC Radio Somerset
- News and Current Affairs: Channel 4 News
- Blogger: Lozzamogz
- Journalist: Sam Blackledge, – Plymouth Herald
- Student Journalist: ‘Self Harm’ – Ben Stupples
- Making a Difference: Find Mike campaign – Jonny Benjamin & Neil Laybourn
- Speaking Out sponsored by Comic Relief: Emily Francis – ‘Emily’s Campaign’
Sponsorship: Virgin Media Money
Richard Branson’s company has helped raised £6 million over the last six years. Attending the event he said:
“It’s great that Virgin Money Giving can support the Mind Media Awards to celebrate the fantastic work nominees have produced to help improve perceptions of mental health through the media.”